Did I mention that there were going to be failed attempts? If not, I’m telling you now.
I really don’t think this dinner could have gone any worse. I guess that’ll teach me to try and keto-fy a recipe while still using the temperatures, measurements, and time lengths from the original recipe.
Well, I might be a bit over dramatic – the flavor was still all that you would expect of a swiss steak, a flavor that can’t be easily explained; something like the feeling of getting into a bed of still-warm, freshly washed sheets. Bliss. Pure bliss. A piece of childhood.
BUT, it was soooooooooooooo dry. Sahara Desert dry. It almost had the consistency of beef jerky. I say almost, but it was pretty much jerky. Delicious jerky, but jerky none the less.
I also made mashed cauliflower. If you mix the mash with the
jerky steak, the dryness disappeared. Once again, cauliflower has saved the day!
Someday I will remember that coconut flour is a thirsty MF. Someday. I swear I will. Hopefully.
I am determined not to let this get me down! Every mistake is a learning experience and blah, blah, blah.
Anyway, here’s what I did. Do not do this.
- 1-ish pounds swissed steak
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion (cut into strips)
- 4 cups water
1. Cut meat into 4oz pieces
2. In medium-sized bowl, mix coconut flour, garlic powder, and seasoned salt
3. Cover meat in flour mixture
4. Reserve remaining flour
5. Heat oil in large skillet and brown meat until slightly crispy
6. Place meat in a 9×13 baking dish, sprinkle with salt and pepper lightly.
7. Deglaze your skillet with 4 cups of water, scraping the remnants from the bottom
8. Pour over the meat (the meat should be just covered)
9. Sprinkle remaining coconut flour mixture over meat
10. Place onion slices on top and cover pan tightly with foil and bake at 325 degrees for 3-4 hours.
Here’s how to fix it. Potentially.
Pretty much the same, just omit steps 4 and 9.
Also, don’t be like me and wait until the three hour mark to check it. Start at 1.5 hours and go from there.
I wish you luck! Let me know how yours turned out and what changes you made!